Should I Go to Grad School Now?
Is now the best time for you to go for that advanced degree?
When to go is the most debated issue many face when factoring continued education into their career plan.
One of the questions most often debated is when is the best time to consider a graduate degree? Is it better to attend graduate school right after you complete your bachelor’s degree, or is it better to wait a few years and gain some work/life experience first?
Here’s a list of reasons for diving right in after your Bachelor’s and a list for waiting & pursuing your career before you begin the grad school process.
Reasons for going straight to graduate school after earning your bachelor’s degree:
- You are accustomed to being a student and want to keep the momentum going.
- Your study skills are sharp and you’re hungry to learn more.
- You have few obligations and spare time.
- Your dream job requires an advanced degree.
Reasons for working for a few years before going to graduate school:
- You plan to work in your career for a few years & grow.
- You are exhausted from school and feel that you are better suited to work.
- You want to expand your knowledge and skills outside the classroom.
- Your graduate program requires work experience.
- Your current employer will reimburse you after a few years.
The choice is really up to you. Graduate school is a tremendous investment and many factors should be considered in making the right choice that works for you.